Maddalena’s Roasted Leg of Lamb Recipe
Cooler Fall weather gives us the perfect reason to stay inside spend a little extra time cooking delicious meals for the ones we love. One of Maddalena’s favorite recipes is this Roasted Leg of Lamb. She likes to serve the meal with her Maddalena Zinfandel, which boasts flavors of ripe red fruit, including bright raspberry and black plum. Cocoa and oak spice also contribute to its rich, silky texture that is framed by soft tannins. See the directions below for Maddalena’s Roasted Leg of Lamb and try pairing it with Maddalena Zinfandel for a delicious Fall dinner.
Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
5-6 lbs. lamb
2 ribs celery (cut into 1 in. pieces)
1 carrot (cut into 1 in. pieces)
1 onion (cut into 1 in. pieces)
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups Chardonnay wine
2 garlic cloves (sliced into slivers)
3 sage leaves
1 tsp. thyme
2 rosemary sprigs
salt & pepper (season to taste)
1) Preheat oven to 375 F.
2) Brush olive oil over lamb.
3) Use a knife to make 5-6 slits in lamb. Insert garlic, rosemary sprigs, sage leaves, salt, & pepper. Sprinkle with thyme.
4) In a roasting pan, add celery, carrot, & onion. Toss with olive oil, salt, & pepper.
5) Place rack in pan, then put the lamb on the rack.
6) Combine 1/2 cup chicken broth & 1 cup wine. Pour over lamb & let the liquids run into the roasting pan.
7) Place dish in oven to let it cook. It will need 15 minutes per pound to cook through.
8) 10 minutes before meat is done, mix 1/2 cup broth & 1/2 cup wine & pour over meat, letting liquids run into the pan.
9) When meat is done, remove from oven & wrap in foil for 15 minutes before cutting in to it.