Veal is meat from calves and boy, we cannot tell you how delicious, flavorful, and delicate it is! This recipe, from Maddalena Riboli, is to die for, and perfect for when you have those very special guests of yours coming over. Try this Veal Marsala dish and see for yourself!
- 2 lbs. veal cutlets
- 1 onion, diced
- 3/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, season to taste
- Place meat on a solid, level surface, or between sheets of wax paper. Pound with a mallet or moistened cleaver, using a glancing motion. This will tenderize the meat.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour and salt. Dredge cutlets in flour mixture and let rest for 15 minutes on a wire rack.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter with oil. Cook floured cutlets on both sides until brown.
- Add mushrooms and onion, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour in Marsala wine and simmer 5 minutes more, until veal is tender and sauce is hot.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve immediately.
Wine Pairing Suggestion – Maddalena Zinfandel
Maddalena Zinfandel shows ripe red fruit, including bright raspberry and spicy black plum. Barrel aging contributes notes of cocoa and oak spice. The mouth is round with a rich, silky texture that is framed by soft tannins.
Serve this up to your guests and they’ll definitely be raging for more! Share yours with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and by using #MaddalenaWines in your photo captions.